Godspeed was designed by renowned Seafarer, Yacht Designer, and Author — Steve Dashew. Godspeed is the largest of the Deerfoot Line of Yachts by Dashew.
Godspeed exemplifies the concepts, conveniences and comfort written about in Steve's book, The Encyclopedia of Cruising. This book details many of the innovations, and logic behind Steve’s Deerfoot Line of Blue Water Cruising and Expedition Yachts.
Steve Dashew changed the world of blue water cruising sailboats when he introduced his Deerfoot line of sailing yachts. Dashew created designs that were fast, comfortable, safe and practical, all while keeping these yachts aesthetically pleasing. The Deerfoot Line of Adventure Sailing Yachts has become a benchmark for what is possible in a cruising sailboat.
Practicality was the cornerstone of the design. Dashew had extensive experience both designing these boats and cruising on them. Lessons learned over years cruising on the ocean were built into the design.
- Of primary importance was the ability to cruise shorthanded, as Dashew preferred to cruise with his wife. Godspeed has been single handed numerous times under the present ownership. Few maxi cruising yachts can be handled easily and safely by a couple on a cruise, while entertaining another couple in style, comfort and luxury.
- Electric winches make raising and trimming sails easy.
- A variable pitch propeller adjusts to achieve maximum thrust in all sea conditions, makes docking easier by being able to select port or starboard prop walk, and increases engine life by being able to tune the engine to exhaust temperature for maximum efficiency.
- A sophisticated fuel management system allows for changing filters while running, and an automated day tank for ultra clean fuel.
- Most Lines are run to the cockpit so all sails can be trimmed from the cockpit.
- The boom is clear of the cockpit for increased safety.
- The 28.8 KWH House Battery is located in the keel where the battery weight contributes to the impressive stability of the vessel and enables the shoal draft of 6 foot, 7 inches. This sensible design has been proven through thousands of miles of offshore cruising.
Everywhere Godspeed Navigates she is complimented on her beautiful lines and the fit and finish of her craftsmanship. Once aboard visitors are quickly astounded by her functionality and live-aboard luxuries.
Current Ownership has enjoyed 22,000 uneventful miles, and hundreds of anchorages, cruising in both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.
Due to the result of the incredible workmanship of Kelly Archer (N.Z.), the incredible wisdom of Offshore Passagemaker Steve Dashew, and the extensive improvements added by her current owner, Godspeed has become a measuring point for ultimate, blue water, cruising yacht design. She’s fast, seaworthy and fun to sail.